According to various studies, the average person in this technology filled world is spending about half of his waking hours doing things that are in an inactive state such as sitting in front of a computer or smartphone, watching TV or movies, and commuting to and from work.
Modern machines brought about by the advancement of technology have given much benefits because they help us finish jobs in less time as well as let us connect to others on a fast paced scale. However, one of its drawbacks is the adverse effects of too much sitting and for long periods of time.
Issues Associated With Prolonged Sitting
The following are among the problems that are caused by prolonged sitting when people do their office job, watch TV/movies for long time, perform internet-based jobs or in any kind of work that requires sitting too long:
- Back problems. Prolonged sitting can cause bad posture especially when the furniture used are not ergonomic-friendly. As a result, it causes back aches, disk damage and inflexible spines. Prolonged sitting can cause soft disks between vertebrae in the spine to become compact and uneven. It can also cause collagen build up around a person’s ligaments and tendons. Another illness could be herniated lumbar disks. This is common to people who spend most of their time in front of the computer, so beware if you are one of them!
- Brain, neck and shoulder pain. It is only when we move that more blood and oxygen are circulated in our body and this contributes in keeping our minds sharp and clear. However, for some reasons, many people sit too long for various activities they can do on the table especially in front of a computer while at work. Slumping forward and staring at the screen strains the neck especially the cervical vertebrae, the delicate bones that connect the spine to one’s head. This causes poor posture that results in back and shoulder muscles issues in the long run.
- Deterioration of organs. While more exercises give us much benefits, not having much of it can cause illnesses that we might soon regret. Being seated for a long period of time can make you at risk for certain illnesses such as heart disease, colon cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Inactivity causes an overproduction of insulin due to the slow blood flow to the organs of the body.
- Muscle degeneration. Since the sitting position doesn’t require the use of ab muscles, it can cause the spine’s natural arch to be overextended as a result of prolonged sitting for a long time. Other muscle degeneration related effects of sitting too long are shortening of the hip flexor muscles and the softening of glute muscles.
- Leg disorders. When one sits for too long and for a long period of time, the legs don’t move much and it can cause blood to pool around the ankles resulting in varicose veins, blood clots or swollen ankles. Running and walking can help bones become stronger while sitting too long can cause the opposite — weaker and less dense bones.
If you are among those who need to sit a long period of time, you should find ways to keep yourself standing and moving from time to time. Otherwise, you would surely get any of these body issues. When it happens, it is time to seek chiropractic help from an experienced chiropractor.
Chiropractic for Back Pain
The procedures that a chiropractor does is basically the same as what a physician does. He takes medical history and conducts physical examination. He subjects the patient to lab tests or diagnostic imaging so that he can determine the extent of treatment to use.
A chiropractic treatment involves spinal manipulation and chiropractic care. The doctor manipulates the joints using sudden force to improve the quality of motion. While chiropractor manipulation is essential in chiropractic treatment, exercise or rehabilitation and nutrition are also incorporated by many chiropractors. The objective is to restore physical functioning, preventing injury, and relieving back pain.
The following are among the chiropractic treatments and care to prevent back pains and to treat those who are suffering of back and neck issues:
Core chiropractic treatments:
- Spinal and manual manipulation. Oftentimes called as chiropractic adjustment, this kind of manual manipulation aims to improve one’s physical functionality, reduce nerve irritability and restore the range of motion through the use of high-velocity, short lever arm thrust applied to an irregular vertebra.
- Chiropractic Mobilization. If there is a need to increase the range of motion in specific areas, this type of chiropractic treatment is used. It uses low velocity manipulation which includes activities that involve the moving and stretching of the muscles and joints.
Chiropractic care and exercises:
- Chiropractic therapy. Among the physiological therapeutic measures that are often used in chiropractic therapy are the heat and ice therapy, exercise, massage, and dietary management. Chiropractic treatment becomes more effective when paired with these chiropractic therapy.
- Cardiovascular and strengthening exercises. Low back pain is better managed with chiropractic care and exercise. It is important though that a patient has to consult and inform the chiropractic if he has a history of heart problems to ensure that he can tolerate these cardiovascular fitness activities.
Meridian Integrative Wellness
If you are in Jacksonville, FL and experiencing these back pains brought about by prolonged sitting due to your job or other reasons, check Meridian Integrative Wellness and discover the various chiropractic services that it can offer you. You can schedule for a free consultation so that you can understand better how chiropractic treatment can help improve your health.
Back pain is among the most common issues that chiropractors in Meridian Integrative Wellness have treated. Whether the pain is due to a job that requires prolonged sitting or due to stress or accident injury, the company’s chiropractor doctors are professionals with many years of experience handling these types of pain and achieving great results that their patients leave the clinic with satisfaction.
If you feel you have these symptoms in your neck or back, it is time to set an appointment with Meridian Integrative Wellness by reaching out to them now. Still undecided? Check out some of our latest reviews: