Top 10 Chiropractic Myths
1. Chiropractors are not real doctors.
Chiropractors go to school for at least 4 years and after they graduate they have to pass 4 sets of National Board Exams, as well as a State exam.
2. Medical Doctors don’t like Chiropractors.
Over the past 20 years the medical industry as a whole has been partnering with chiropractic doctors. They now have hospitals with chiropractic staff and chiropractic doctors have medical doctors in their offices.
3. Once you start going, you have to go forever.
We have different care plans for all patients. We offer a regular maintain or corrective care treatment programs. With our office, corrective care has a beginning and end. We don’t give you more than what you need or want.
4. Adjustments are dangerous.
Getting an adjustment is just as safe as grocery shopping. There hasn’t been a case to date that proves this type of treatment to be any sort of dangerous.
5. Prescription and Non- Prescription drugs are safe.
Overdose of drugs are the 3rd leading cause of deaths in America. Chiropractic care offers a safe, and drug free alternative to many ailments. Back pain is the number one most classified ailment and Americans are spending annually up to 65 billion, just on chiropractic care.
6. Children shouldn’t see a chiropractor.
We see patients from all age groups; even small children and infants. Getting regular adjustments for a child can prevent abnormal plate growth, and prevent growing pains and shin splints. OSHA made a statement that over 1,500 spinal-related traumas will happen before the age of 5.
7. Chiropractic adjustments are not effective.
Millions of people have benefited from regular adjustments. There are countless studies to support the evidence that it provides a benefit to a patient.
8. It is safe to perform a SELF adjustment.
The “pop” you hear is actually nitrous oxide (CO2) being released from the joint. When you self-adjust, any joint capable of moving will, and will achieve the “pop” sound associated with a successful adjustment. However this doesn’t mean you have returned movement to the proper join, along with a release of endorphins, which gives you a euphoric feeling, giving you a false belief you corrected the problem. The pain will return in 20-25 minutes later once the gas is back in the joint. If you continue to self-adjust every 25 minutes you will become hyper mobile and it makes it super difficult to achieve stability.
9. Chiropractic doctors only treat back pain.
Chiropractors improve joint function. They will treat the neck, knees, ankles, hands, feet, headaches, neck pain treatment, and provide care after an auto accident and sciatica nerve pain.
10. Chiropractic services are not covered by insurance.
Most insurance will cover this type of care. We accept United Health Care, Florida Blue, Aetna, Humana, Cigna and most major insurances. We do not accept Medicare or Medicaid.
Top 10 Chiropractic Facts
1. Lower back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide (According to the Global Burden of Disease, 2010).
Lower back causes more disability than nearly 300 other conditions worldwide, according to new research, and nearly one in 10 people across the globe suffers from an aching lower back. And more than 35% of chiropractic patients are receiving care for upper or low back pain
2. Chiropractors treat over 27 million Americans annually.
Millions of people around the world routinely choose chiropractic services and this number is continuing to grow. Chiropractic adjustment is an effective treatment that’s performed around 1 million times every business day in the United States
3. Chiropractic doctors are Nationally Accredited doctors.
These doctors have comprehensive knowledge of all systems of the body and diagnostic procedures enable the DC to thoroughly evaluate a patient, address disorders relating to the spine and determine the need for referral to another health care provider if needed.
4. Chiropractic doctors have a 4 year doctoral graduate degree with a minimum of 4,200 classroom hours, laboratory, and clinical internships.
Applicants must have 90 undergraduate hours before applying to a Chiropractic college and at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
5. Chiropractors outperformed all other back pain treatments including: prescription drugs, deep-tissue massage, yoga, Pilates, and over-the-counter medicine therapies.
6. Chiropractic care is the fasted growing and second-largest primary health care profession.
This means that your chiropractor can be your primary health care provider. The number of chiropractors is expected to grow 15% over the next decade.
7. The practice of Chiropractic work is recognized and regulated by laws in over 40 countries.
8. Chiropractic care is recognized by governmental health care programs.
Treatments provided by chiropractors include spinal manipulation (chiropractic adjustment), massage, diet and nutritional counseling, and weight loss help.
9. Doctors of Chiropractic care provide effective low-cost care for a wide range of conditions.
According to the 2007 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), which included a comprehensive survey of the use of complementary health approaches by Americans, about 8 percent of adults (more than 18 million) and nearly 3 percent of children (more than 2 million) had received chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation in the past 12 months. Additionally, an analysis of NHIS cost data found that adults in the United States spent approximately $11.9 billion out-of-pocket on visits to complementary health practitioners—$3.9 billion of which was spent on visits to practitioners for chiropractic orosteopathic manipulation.
10. Chiropractic care is safe for all ages; small children, infants, and the elderly can benefit from this care.